Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Your Attitude

I’ve been working for a year as a high school strength coach, and the one issue I have besides lifting technique is attitude. Not the “I’m a rock star and my uniqueness makes me special” attitude, but this idea that showing up makes you strong. I have a number of athletes who will train their hearts out, give it their all, and ask for more. These kids motivate others and make the training experience a positive one.

Then there’s another group who likes to arrive late. The team lifts at the start of the hour, but this group shows up five minutes late. They walk in, announce their tardiness, leave, return, leave, and then are promptly told to get out. My time is valuable. Suffice it to say, there are 10 – 30 other teammates who seem to manage their time effectively. When a few can’t, I don’t have the patience to catch them up. This group has become significantly smaller in the past three weeks.

I call the final group the gym sponge. They will perform the lifts completely half-assed, and they tend to sit and talk more so than anything else. Again, they don’t last long and they tend to either change their game or leave. This can either evolve immediately or over the course of a week. Either way, the attitude changes or they don’t last.

Read the rest of this article here

Photobucket


Knee Jumps

Koji Front Squats
3x5

Pistols
2x2

3 Rounds
5 Handstand Push Ups
10 Tire Flips
15 Kettlebell Swings

1 comment:

  1. Koji squats 135#

    I need more practice on the pistols, did one with my right leg.

    MetCon 5:05 as Rx'ed

    ReplyDelete