Monday, May 31, 2010

Supplements

Recently I have gotten a lot of questions about my thoughts on protein drinks/shakes. I am not too crazy about taking protein drinks every single day. I only take a protein shake if I just could not get enough protein in throughout the day. Try to avoid Soy protein powders as so is a bean and therefore a legume. More about legumes later, understand that their negative attributes far outweigh their positive attributes. The only protein powder I recommend is called "Whey Factors" and the only place I have been able to find it at is Whole Foods. Please inform me if you know of another location to get this brand at.

I like Creatine, however, I feel that most companies dangerously overload their products with too much Creatine. Creatine is just 3 amino acids, but the quantity that they are delivered in in most, if not all, powders is in my opinion ridiculous. My brand of choice is GNC's Creatine that comes 200 servings to a container with nothing added to it. I take this maybe 3-4 times a week if I remember to do so with water. Be cautious with Creatine especially as it warms up. I've seen arguments for both sides of Creatine's hazards and benefits, I say better safe than sorry.

For recovery I recommend ZMA and Potassium right before bedtime. Find a Potassium product that is low in Potassium, it is easy to have too much in your system. This is another one you may want to not take all of the time.

Fish Oil is the only supplement I will hands down recommend on any day that ends in "y". Stick with Carlson's or the Zone Diet brand. I find those two to have the best quality and taste.

Photobucket
An extra dumbbell makes the Side Press even harder and more effective.

WoD:
Farmer's Walk

Box Squat
5x5

Rest 5 minutes then
AMRAP 10 Minutes
5 Power Snatches (Men use 95#/Women use 63#)
10 Double Unders
15 Squats

Post loads and rounds completed to comments.

1 comment:

  1. Box squats @ 135#

    AMRAP 10 - subbed 5 x 53# kettlebell snatches each arm due to space constraints

    6 rounds

    ReplyDelete